The Leadership Challenge is a “personal coach in a book”. When leaders understand that leadership is a relationship and they begin to engage in the Five Exemplary Practices-Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others to Act, and Encourage the Heart- they are better able to perform at their personal best.
Kouzes and Posner believe, “Inspiring leadership speaks to our need to have meaning and purpose in our lives… a leader must have the ability to bring out the best in others-to enable others to act.”
Their Ten Commitments of Leadership are at the core of their philosophy:
1. Find your voice by clarifying your personal values.
2. Set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
3. Envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities.
4. Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
5. Search for opportunities by seeking innovative ways to change, grow, and improve.
6. Experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes.
7. Foster collaboration by promoting cooperative goals and building trust.
8. Strengthen others by sharing power and discretion.
9. Recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
10. Celebrate the values and victories by creating a spirit of community.
This is a comprehensive and inspiring book with practical suggestions on developing your leadership style and becoming a leader. Warren Bennis states, “This is essential for everyone involved or concerned with leading.”
Likewise, Patrick Lencioni writes, “This is perhaps the most comprehensive field guide ever written for leaders. The principles are powerful, and have been a key part of my personal journey as a leader for years.” One of Forbes five top executive coaches, Marshall Goldsmith, asserts, “this is the most practical, comprehensive, and inspiring research on leadership that I have ever read…the leadership challenge helps us gain practical wisdom from real leaders at all levels in any types of organizations.”
We, at Iron Coaching, believe that the fundamentals of leadership are the same today as they have probably been for centuries. It is our desire to help you further strengthen and hone your skills, and make a difference as a leader to help you guide your company. This book is one tool to help assist you in that endeavor.